Distributing Podcasts: Publish your own podcasts on Spotify and iTunes
The good news: You do not need lots of marketing to get your podcasts on Spotify and Apple iTunes. Both platforms provide podcast hosts with free tools you can use to broadcast your podcasts. It’s basically DIY podcast distribution.
The bad news: You are not reimbursed for the number of plays your podcast gets. However, you are allowed to place audio advertising in your podcast (for example, “This podcast is sponsored by company XYZ”) and finance the podcast with the revenue from advertising.
Podcast distribution – Preparation
Before you distribute your podcasts to platforms such as Spotify and iTunes Podcasts, they must first be hosted on the web and be available via RSS feed. The hosting and the feed are available (partly free of charge) from the following providers – many more are also available online:
If you have uploaded your podcast to a hosting provider and created your RSS feed, you can go ahead and publish the podcast on Apple iTunes or Spotify.
How to distribute a podcast to Apple iTunes:
- Register with iTunes Connect or create an account with your Apple ID
- Select “Podcasts”
- Follow the steps
- If you have any questions, read the iTunes Podcast FAQs or contact iTunes Podcast Support
How to distribute a podcast to Spotify:
- Visit “Spotify for Podcasters” to get started. You need a Spotify account to do this.
- After logging in, you can enter the link to your RSS feed as well as information about your podcast
- If you have any questions, see the Spotify for Podcasters FAQs or contact Spotify Podcasters Support